Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Canines Give This Post Two Paws Up



Last night Shawn, Skylee and I watched Marley and Me. It was hands down the saddest movie I have ever seen. Sadder than Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern grows combined.

I think you have to have lost a dog that you had since puppy hood or have a really old dog to feel the full power of this movie. I have experienced both.

Sammy came to live with us when I was a little girl. We had him for years, gave him away, took him back and had him for the rest of his life span. Sammy was a sweet and naughty little cocker spaniel and I adored him but Sammy isn't the reason this movie hit me so hard. The dogs I have now are.


Shawn owned Deeogee when I met him. He was a cute, obnoxious, vicious, year and a half old puppy when I came into his life. He bit me, my nephew and a day care kid before I finally consulted the vet who's advise was to have him neutered, and neuter him we did. He turned into a whole new dog, sweet and lovable and completely loyal.

Since the day I met him he has had an old soul. He seems so wise and not at all dog like. Everyone who has ever met him has fell instantly in love with his attitude.

Last night I got to thinking after watching the movie all the changes he has seen in is life. From being a bachelors dog who traveled the country and lived in motel rooms to a family dog, protector of 6.

First I was introduced to him, then a young boy and a baby boy. 2 baby girls, 4 houses and 2 states. A few other dog friends and a bunch of cat friends. He has seen every thing since day 1 of our relationship.

In our first house late at night, Shawn was working out of town and someone tried to break in. Dee has the bark of a big dog and alerted me to someone at the window. He scared the person off and possibly saved our lives. From that night on I owed him a debt I will never be able to repay him.


Clara came to live with us as a tiny 5 week old puppy who cried all night long. We spent the first week with her taking turns sleeping with our hands draped over the edge of the bed, stuck inside her kennel to keep her from crying all night. Life with her in the beginning was very much like life with a new baby and she was a very naughty new baby. She whined and barked, chewed on everything, ate walls and the kids toys. Ran away every chance she could and caused a lot of stress between the next door neighbor and us. I'll admit more time than not I hated that dog with every fiber of my being and wanted rid of her. I hated all her bad habits and her fur all over my house. Then last spring we nearly lost her to a bad infection and she and I have been inseparable since.

Although she is only 5 and a half we believe she is near the end of her life. She injured her front shoulder the fall before last and hasn't been right since. She also has rear hip dysplasia but she has all the heart of a puppy and we have to monitor her exercise so she doesn't over exert herself and cause herself more pain.


That is the reason the movie got to me so badly. (Well that and I am a crier at movies, tv shows and even commericals). We have two dogs nearing the end of their lives so when I was watching the movie I wasn't seeing Marley lying under the tree or on the vets table. I was looking at my own two canine children and thinking of what it will do to our family when it is time to make the hardest decision a doggy parent will ever have to make. A decision I wish I never have to make.

6 comments:

Bobby G June 7, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

Love that the dogs name was D O G lol also my GF got pissed I wouldnt watch M & M w/ her. LOL Then she said how sad it was I was like DUH

zipbagofbones June 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

I love those dogs, espectially Deeogee. That was a super sad movie. But remember, all dogs go to heaven! Right?

njerzgal June 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

What wonderful expressive pics of the dogs!! I love them. I haven't seen the movie. Every time I think I want to watch it..nahh...dont wanna cry.
Ok.. never once thought of the deogee = d o g connection....lol

Kat June 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

I rented Marley and Me and then heard how said it was and returned it without watching it. I just can't do sad dog movies...

cheatymoon June 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM  

I love the photos. Your dogs seem like an integral part of your family... heavy stuff...

Going to steer clear of that movie, yikes.

airplane5312 June 18, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

LOL I love dogs. The things they will let us do to them.

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter
    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP