Monday, December 29, 2008

Server Nightmare

The strangest thing just happened. Strange in the fact that it hasn't happened in quite some time. Nearly a year to be exact. I thought I had escaped them, I thought they were gone. Until today. I had a server nightmare.
I used to have them all the time. Wake up in a cold sweat. Scream. Then a year ago I quit my job and my life as a 16 year career server ended. The nightmares ended. It was sweet relief. No more dreaming about forgetting someones food or having a customer scream at me in front of a restaurant full of people or a number of other nightmareish things a servers exhausted mind can dream up. Until today.
I woke up from my nap and my first thought was "shit, I just had one". I dreamt that I was back at my old haunt. The place had just reopened after being closed. It was present time. The old manager D was back and unfortunately, so was I. In this particular nightmare I was in the weeds because the root beer line was full of air and everyone wanted root beer. I dropped hot food on a little old lady as I passed her. Tried to take a food order from the wrong table and made it to my own table woefully late because whomever took their drink order wouldn't give it to me.
This dream was realistic in the fact the manager made inappropriate comments to me and the other girls and the staff was under skilled and under age.
It was a really odd dream. I wonder what my mind is trying to tell me? If it thinks I am going back to waiting tables then my mind can kiss my ass.

11 comments:

zipbagofbones December 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

That's so weird, I had one of those just a couple of weeks ago out of the blue. THEY ARE THE WORST DREAMS EVER. You wake up tenser than shit, exhausted and stressed. Only other ones I've had that are as bad or worse were about being a cashier at a grocery store (one of my h.s. jobs) where the line of people is endless and everyone is buying produce. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!!

Anonymous December 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

I think your mind is telling you that you are over due for some kick ass wine!

Or a marguerita.

You decide.

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

Because.. when the mind has been deprived of wine for a period of time, it can't think clearly on it's own.

Which explains a lot about my life.

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 9:54 AM  

I was diagnosed with PMDD also and am on progesterone for it.
It has helped but ocassionally I have "bad" months. This must be one of them.

I'm wondering - is there anyone who doesn't need a bottle of wine a day? I thought that was normal.

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

My gyno suggested a book.
That explained the differences
in using natural progesterone or using medication/surgery.
I cannot remember the name of it..
but it helped me make my decision for several reasons i.e. risk of cancer with medication, surgery can cause some serious hormonal/depression issues.

The book is about Adrenal Fatigue.
I just googled it.
The title is "Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome"
and is written by James L. Wilson.

Bobby G December 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

Hello, My name is Bobby G! I got your blog off of cats blog, I saw your server nightmare header and know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I would dream that the whole restaurant got sat at once, the bar wouldnt make drinks, the kitchen wouldnt make food, and I could remember anything! NIGHTMARE! my blog is www.bobbygspot.org, take a look & enjoy!

Elle Charlie December 30, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

I was a server for about 5 months and used to have nightmares about it too - I thought it was just me! Thankfully, I rarely have flashbacks! Hope this is your final one!

rachael chatoor December 30, 2008 at 5:18 PM  

LOL, yeah it only pays to pay attention to your dreams if they have something good to say. :) I like Kates perscription, a wee glass of wine will set you straight!

Julie December 30, 2008 at 7:53 PM  

I was rather freaked when I had the old math test/didn't know where the classroom was/hadn't been to class nightmare years and years after I stopped going to school.

That one and the one where my teeth fall out are my least favorite dreams. Even including the one I had where I was naked and paralyzed and hiding behind a rock...

Perhaps I am sharing a bit much...I did want to mention that you should cook the chicken first, in making that enchilada casserole. I am sure you knew that, but I would hate to be responsible for you and all your friends getting salmonella.

Holly December 31, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

wow I use to have those, too when I waited tables. I swore to myself I would never waitress again and here I am! Hopefully I have created enough good restaurant karma by being nice to servers over the past year that it won't be so bad this time.

Lisa :-] January 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

I have had so many food service jobs (AND I own my own restaurant now) that every nightmare I have sounds a lot like this dream you just described. And we thought sleep was supposed to be an escape from reality...

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter
    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP