Friday, May 8, 2009

Namesake

I left the files full size. Please click to enlarge.



On September 4, 1918 my Grandmother was born.
On June 15, 1937 my Grandparents were married.

Yesterday May 7, 2009 my Grandmother went home to be with the Lord.

She spent her life devoted to her savior and I couldn't be happier for her that she is in his loving arms right now.

I was named after my Grandma. Michelle Ruth. When I was a child I hated my middle name. When I was a teenager I realized that it was an honor. I was named after a wonderful woman and couldn't be prouder to share her name.

My Grandparents spent nearly 72 years married to one another. 72 years. That is amazing.

When I was a baby I was doted on and much loved by my Grandma. I was the first granddaughter on the Haldy side in roughly 50 years. To say my birth was a big deal is probably an understatement. Sometime in the 60's my grandparents went on vacation and bought a beautiful set of small dollhouse chairs for their first granddaughter. A girl was desperately wanted. I came along and made that dream come true. I was spoiled rotten. There are several pictures of my Grandma going gaga over me when I was small. They then moved very far away and I didn't get to see them much but they always sent cards and letters to let me know they thought of me often. When I was 10 my Dad graduated from the University. It was a big deal so my Grandma flew out for the occasion. That was the last time I saw my Grandma until last fall. 23 years.

I was waiting in the lobby of the nursing home when my Dad and Uncle wheeled my Grandma out. She saw me and very excitingly said my name "Shelly?" and got teary. A lifetime of love flowed through the hug we shared. It was my turn to dote on her. I spent the day at the hospital with her. She couldn't hear well so I wrote notes and she would respond. Mostly she sat and stared at me and smiled. The hospital was chilly and her hands were like ice. I slipped my 50 cent stretchy gloves on her hands and you would have thought I gave her the best present ever. She stared at her hands and thanked me dozens of times. Its the small things I guess. She tried to give them back and I told her I wanted her to keep them. She said she would wear them and think of me. A pair of cheap gloves brought her happiness. I was blessed to spend that time with her and today I will savor every second of our time together and remember a kind woman who was so full of love.

10 comments:

Bobby G May 8, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

That was Very touching. I am teary eyed, RIP Grandma, she seemed to be an amazing woman!

Debbi May 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

aw. I love this post. I'm sorry for your loss, sweetie!

And the glove story- priceless.

cw2smom May 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

A very lovely and touching tribute to your wonderful Grandma! I am sooooo sorry that you lost her, but you carry so many beautiful memories in your heart! I am teary about those gloves! You are so right, it's the little things! May she rest in perfect peace! Blessings, Lisa

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

That is so awesome!

I'm sorry for you loss.

What beautiful memories you have.

p.s. I like the name Ruth.
It's my aunt's name.

cheatymoon May 8, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

xxxooo

beautifully written - am sorry for your loss...

Candice May 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

Michelle that was a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother. You look a lot like her! I am very sorry for the loss, but I am not sorry for her, because I know she is in a better place. Many prayers for your family.

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

p.s. Hope you have a happy mother's day.. I mean as much as possible given your recent loss.

zipbagofbones May 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

Beautiful post.

Are those photos of your granparents? If so, good god does your dad look like his dad! Spitting image! And you look like a very youthful Ruth, yourself.

Joanie May 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

That was a lovely story. You have wonderful memories of your Grandma. 72 years... amazing!

Reinvent Dad May 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

Fine tribute to your Grandmother. Mentioning "the small things.." which typified that generation reminded so much of my grandparents who lived through the Great Depression, and WWII, but still held on to their beliefs. They had so much to teach us about what really matters in life. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter
    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP