Friday, February 20, 2009

The Keepers



I am taking my sorry self to the doctor today. I am all about rock hard abs but coughing them into shape isn't working for me anymore. The way I am going I will look like a runway model. I can't eat because I cough so hard everything comes up. Soon I will be super skinny with 6 pack abs.

I have a minute or two so I will give you the quick run down of our visit from the bees.

Watching them come in was amazing. They came flying in between the neighbors house and ours and landed on our tree. Shawn and I were working in the garden at the time and the buzz was deafening. He thought they were gnats. I knew better and quickly ushered all of the kids and their friends out of the back yard. Ran inside and grabbed my camera and the phone. I called the neighbors over to look and took some pictures.

The neighbor guy has a friend who is a bee keeper. He said they should be gone in 48 hours because there hive was destroyed and they would move on. They did not move on.

I tried to mow the lawn about a week after they moved in, they got pissed and swarmed. Very scary to be caught in the middle of that.

Eventually I called around town and found a bee keeper who came out and removed the majority of them. He however didn't get the queen so we still had a few remaining bees living in the tree for a few months until they died off.

At some point someone suggested we have them sprayed and killed. I was appalled. I guess most people don't get that honey bees are disappearing at an alarming rate which effects every aspect of our human life. They were fun to have around but I was more than happy to see them leave.

3 comments:

cheatymoon February 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

Hope you feel better. I am afflicted with a horrible winter cough too. Ack.

Cool photos of the keepers.

zipbagofbones February 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

They had better BEEhave, or you'll come after them and they'll have to make a BEEline.

That's all I have, I know I'm lame today.

Feel better.

Unknown February 21, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

I hope you feel better- there's a bug going around!
My grandfather raised bee's, which scared the piss out of me. Good honey though.

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP