Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The thing about time


There comes a time in every adults lifetime when you start to think about your own mortality. For a few different reasons this week I have been thinking about this subject.




This past week my small high school class lost another classmate. This seems so wrong to me. We are all 33-34 and have lost 4 classmates. By far to young to lose so many whether it be at their own hands or from illness.




I keep thinking somehow I wish I could go back and hug them one last time and tell them they won't see age 17 or 30 or 31 or 35 that they must live while they have time but none of us know how much time we have. We could be hanging out with friends tonight and gone to live with the angels by tomorrow morning.




In some ways our class was close knit. Most of us went to school together from kindergarten on. In a lot of other ways our class was just like any other, cliquish and segregated. We all knew each other though. That is the good thing about life in a small town. Everyone knows everyone.




Death just seems to be all around lately. Every night there is some souls family to pray for. Last week our seemingly healthy mayor died of lung and brain cancer. He campaigned wholeheartedly all summer and fall. He won election and presided at one town council meeting before he was diagnosed with lung cancer and a very short amount of time later brain cancer.




Life is short. Far to short. The THS class of '93 was reminded of that this week. Joanna's soul has flown to heaven where I can only hope a small class reunion is under way. A reunion without all the awkwardness of a class reunion. I hope Joanna, James, Jeff and Michael are looking fondly down on the rest of us, sending us the message to make the most of the time we have left down here.




7 comments:

Debbi February 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM  

AMEN. I've already lost a few classmates, and we're only 28.

But I love reunions. They're always awesome. A Heavenly Reunion would be amazing, I know it.

ChurchPunkMom February 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

I haven't kept in touch with my old classmates enough to know what's going on with them.. but we lost a couple before even graduating.. that was rough.

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

I totally understand.

I found out last weekend
that a good friend of mine,
from my navy days, passed.

She was 50.
I agree 34-36 is too young,
so is 50!

Unknown February 25, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

I know what you mean. I turned 32 this year and started thinking about that off and on.
It messes with your mind, that's for sure!

zipbagofbones February 25, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

Funerals suck. From now on, NOBODY ELSE IS ALLOWED TO DIE. I'm not even kidding. We'll all just get really old and have to stack up on top of each other to sleep.

I'm sorry about your friends.

krista February 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

All that being said, I want to say that you are a blessing to all the people in your life, Shell. You are such a wonderful person. Loves, K

Irish Gumbo February 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

Sorry to hear, my dear.

What you wrote was heartfelt, a nice tribute, I think.

And the photo went very well with the words.

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP