Monday, April 27, 2009

Love and Marriage the Human Edition

This is a subject I wasn't sure I wanted to touch upon but it is one I feel very passionately about. My intent isn't to offend anyone here and if you are offended by what I am about to say then this isn't the blog for you. I hope you can open your mind and your heart and see beyond yourself. :)

Today is the first day that two people of the same sex can walk into a court house in Iowa and apply for a piece of paper that says they have the same rights in each others lives as their opposite sex counterparts. That, to me, is one of the most wonderful things that could ever happen. Imagine, Iowa (and two other states) are allowing human beings basic rights that most other human beings are already allowed to enjoy. The right to share medical insurance and medical power of attorney, a piece of paper that allows them to own half of each others shit.

In Iowa people no longer have to meet under an arch in any room but a church to promise to spend the rest of their lives together and then walk away having signed nothing and making nothing legal. Now, they can meet in a church and promise that maybe one day they can pay a man thousands of dollars to undo what is written on a scrap of paper just like the rest of us can.

Who would have thought little Iowa was such a progressive thinking state? I now pronounce you husband and husband. Iowa ROCKS!!

7 comments:

cheatymoon April 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

Whooohoooo. Good stuff! :-D No worries about offending me here - if anything, this post makes me want to stop by more often!

Bobby G April 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

That is great news! It will offend some, but not BG! If they want to be miserable like the rest of us, so be it! =)

Melissa Gephart April 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

I just think it's sad that people in so many states (most of them) are still waiting for the basic civil rights that us heterosexuals take for granted. Yay Iowa!

Joanie April 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

This is one of the few areas when John and I have to agree to disagree. I am all for same sex marriage. He is vehemently opposed to it. I think it's wonderful and was so shocked that California, of all places, voted against it.
YAY Iowa!!

Unknown April 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Isn't that fantastic! Yay Iowa!

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

I'm proud to live here!

nikki April 29, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

I only wish Michigan would follow in Iowa's footsteps!

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP