Friday, March 6, 2009

Black and White and Yucky All Over

Click to enlarge

Yesterday was a balmy 46 degrees here in the metro area of the Twin Cities. I saw balmy because the air was so thick you had to fight your way through it. The fog so dense it was palpable. What better day to go out for a shoot? Ha!

I took this photo in black and white but I swear this is exactly the way it looked. Everything is grey and white. Its quite a depressing sight to see. I feel as if all I do is focus on the negativity of this winter but I absolutely hate it. I am such a nature girl and am far happier trudging through a wooded area or camping in the woods than I am sitting on my ass staring out the window wishing I wasn't such a weenie when it comes to the snow. Near the beginning of the winter I vowed to not let the winter get to me. I would still go out and take walks, I would have snowball fights with the kids. I would really enjoy the outdoors this winter. Then it hit -50 and stayed there for what seems like years. Yeah screw the cold. I spent most of the winter huddled on the couch under a blanket in turn my car has spent the entire winter under a blanket of metal eating road salt. Blech.

I was so desperate yesterday for a touch of spring, for something more than my hibiscus to be the subject of my photography, I ran out and bought myself an orchid. I took hundreds of shots from various angles. Guess what?? They all suck. Why you ask....because the sun didn't shine inside or out yesterday and the lighting was awful. The sun is shining today and the orchid and I are going to try again. I am thinking of using a black background to make the white and red of the orchid pop.

Okay, enough rambling already. Have a good day!

6 comments:

rachael chatoor March 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

Spring is coming soon......I hate winter too, I wish I could just hibernate like the bears and wake up when its all over.....

Have fun with your orchid....

zipbagofbones March 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

I'm sick of getting shit all over my pants every time I get in or out of my car.

It's a pretty (depressing) picture at least!

Anonymous March 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Not yucky.

Pretty picture.

Unknown March 6, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

Very pretty picture!! It's in the mid 60's today over here.

Jeanne Estridge March 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

I thought the picture was kind of pretty, but I'm not the one living with ongoing winter (it's gotten warm here in Southern OH, at least for a little while). I lived in Minnesota for 3 years and how cold it got never really bothered me -- what bothered me was how LONG it lasted. Hang in there, though -- it will be over soon, and at least you don't have to shovel March snow. (I think that's a rule -- that's what my neighbors told me.)

OhCaptain March 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

This is my least favorite time of the year up here as well. Everything is dirty, brown and missing anything remotely colorful. Never fear, the tulips are starting their push.

My camera is getting restless too. I'm leaving for Toronto next Friday, camera in hand.

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP