Friday, January 23, 2009

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

Stupidity is hilarious when you are the stupid one.
During the warm months when I am stressed out, pissed off or just need some alone time I take myself down to the river to think things through. The place is incredibly beautiful. I am a nature girl at heart and to me there is nothing as soothing as watching the water rush over rocks and broken tree limbs. Yesterday all I had in mind was much needed photo therapy.

I drove out of town a bit to get some shots of a beautiful old barn sitting on the outskirts of the woods. I shot some photos, drove out of the woods and circled around to go back and take some more shots from a different angle. Sitting directly in front of the barn on the edge of the road was the most gorgeous pheasant I have ever seen outside of a painting. He was big and fat and almost looked like someones pet. He stood still for a bit and I fired off a few shots before he ran in front on my car and into the bush. He then proceeded to pose for me. I swear it was as if God himself KNEW I needed photo therapy. I got a few fabulous shots that I will post tomorrow.


I rushed home super excited to show Shawn the hunter the shots I took. Much different than the shots he would have taken. I begged him to go back out with me to take some more photos. He asked where I wanted to go and I immediately thought of how beautiful the river bottoms would be. So that's where we went.

This is a very valuable lesson I am going to teach you here dear readers. If you are in Minnesota and it is winter do not, I repeat do not trust the look of snow. If it looks plowed and packed and there are snowmobile tracks everywhere, it is an illusion. You will spend hours stuck in the river bottom without ever breaking your camera out.


Doesn't look very deep does it? The passenger side front wheel was buried

We pushed and rocked. Gained inches and lost feet. I seriously worried at some point that Shawn would either have a heart attack or break a blood vessel in his brain trying to get us pushed out. I thought I would have a stroke trying to figure out why everyone I know actually has to work during the day. Then as if the clouds broke and the sun shone down on me I realized we have Triple A. Duh!

The tow driver gave us tons of shit for even considering to drive down there. Apparently he pulled a 4 wheel drive truck out of there last week. My Saturn didn't stand a chance in hell but at least Shawn and I had a good laugh over how stupid we were to venture down there.


Being hauled up from the river bottoms

11 comments:

zipbagofbones January 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

Wow. That's...well, I considered driving down there myself for some photos last weekend, so don't beat yourself up over it. I miss the old bridge though - the new one doesn't have the same charm. Of course, your grandkids will think it's charming one day.

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

Yeah, that's something I would've done too.

I grew up in the country.. so yeah, I like nature.

My brother and I used to hunt frogs and crawdads in the creek.

Kat January 23, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

So..uh...where is the shot of the pheasant? Glad you made it out of the river bank alright!

Chris January 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

Did you explain to the tow truck driver how important your pictures are to us stalkers? I'm sure he would've understood...

cw2smom January 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

We true photographers will do anything for a photo! So...I totally understand! Can't wait to see what you came up with during your adventure. BTW..I love your header shot! Blessings, Lisa

Julie January 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

It gave you something to blog about, at least. Mark blew out a tire big time when I yelled to him to stop so I could take a photo of a sign. It's on my blog somewhere. That was an expensive photo -- we ended up buying all new tires and wheels for about $800.

I love water, so that was the biggest challenge, I think, when we lived in the desert, not having bodies of water around.

Which is also why I rather think we won't end up in Minnesota...too far from the Pacific Ocean. Some of my very most favorite places are beaches on the Pacific Ocean.

When do we get to see the shots of the pheasant?

Unknown January 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

I'm looking forward to the pheasant pictures.

Jeanne Estridge January 23, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

At least you were able to laugh together! Thanks for coming by to visit. My eyes were drawn to your previous post by that gorgeous photo, and I wanted to let you know that I agree with your thoughts about the internet. I've only been blogging since the end of September, and in some ways I feel closer to the folks I've met in the blogosphere than my flesh-and-blood friends. Of course, I spend much more time with them!

rachael chatoor January 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

I don't think I would have been brave enough to try it, I stayed stranded in my own house this winter because I couldn't get my car out of my own driveway. Funny the tow truck driver giving you shit.

Irish Gumbo January 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

I believe in the military they'd call that 'about Bronze Star stupid'...*snort* glad you made it back.

I'd have done the same thing for a good photo. Let's see!

OhCaptain January 24, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

As a fellow Minnesota...um. Yeah. I might side with the tow driver :)

I commuted from Red Wing to Rochester for about 6 yrs. I've seen plenty of people do crazy things in the snow. Glad to hear you are OK with only your ego bruised.

Crazy People With Something to Say



Powered by Blogger.

People's Choice Award

People's Choice Award

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
I am Mom to 4 of the most kick ass kids ever! I learn shenanigans from them every day.

Followers

Twitterpated

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    uggs on sale

    Search This Blog

    Labels

    About This Blog

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP